First Division - Army of the Tennessee
Major General John A. McClernand

This division, composes of three brigades of infantry, four batteries of artillery, on battalion and two companies of cavalry, was ordered from Savannah to Pittsburg March 20, 1862, and west into camp across the main Corinth road about one-half mile east of Shiloh Church. On Sunday morning, April 6, 1862, the division formed for battle with its Third Brigade thrown forward to support Sherman's left; its First and Second Brigades along the Corinth road; McAllister's battery at the northwest corner of the Review field; Burrows's battery at center of second brigade; Dresser's battery at Water Oaks Pond; Schwartz's battery, first to Sherman's right, then at the crossroads. The division was attacked at about 9 a.m. with the loss of Burrows's battery, one gun of McAllister's battery, and one gun of Schwartz's battery. It made its next stand at right angles to the center of its Second-Brigade camp, where Dresser's battery lost four guns. The division then retired to its fourth line, in the camp of its First Brigade, where it rallied and in a countercharge drove the Confederates back and recovered the whole of the camp of the Second Brigade and McClernand's headquarters, and captured Cobb's Kentucky battery at 12 m. It held this advance but a short time, when it was driven slowly back until at 2 p.m. it was again in the field of its First-Brigade camp, where it held its fifth line until 2:30 p.m. It then retired across Tilghman Creek to its sixth line, at "Cavalry Field," where at 4:30 p.m. it repulsed a charge made by Pond's brigade and Wharton's cavalry, and then retired to the Hamburg and Savannah road, where, with its left thrown back, it bivouacked Sunday night.
It advanced Monday morning over the same ground where it fought on Sunday, and at 4 p.m. reoccupied it camps on the field.

First Brigade - Colonel Abraham M. Hare

Second Brigade - Colonel C. Carroll Marsh

Third Brigade - Colonel Julius Raith

Unattached